Kantola ki Sabzi, a dish that tantalizes taste buds, is a culinary delight that brings together the unique flavors of teasel gourd with a medley of spices. As we embark on this flavorful journey, let’s explore the simple yet enticing ingredients that make this dish a star on any dining table.
Table of Contents
Starting with the basics, a generous drizzle of oil sets the stage for the rich and aromatic flavors that define Kantola ki Sabzi. Choose your favorite cooking oil to infuse the dish with its distinct essence.
2. Kantola/Kakoda/Teasel Gourd/Spine Gourd
The heart of the dish lies in the teasel gourd, known by various names such as Kakoda or Kakrol. Its spiky appearance adds a visual appeal, while its unique taste forms the foundation of the sabzi.
3. 2 tbsp. Peanuts
Adding a crunchy texture to the dish, peanuts bring a nutty flavor that complements the softness of the teasel gourd. This humble ingredient plays a vital role in enhancing the overall mouthfeel.
4. 5–6 Garlic Pods
Garlic, with its robust and pungent aroma, elevates the savory notes of the sabzi. The pods are sliced or minced, releasing their essence into the cooking oil to build a flavorful base.
5. 3-4 Dry Red Chilly Powder
For those who crave a hint of heat, dry red chili powder provides the perfect spice kick. Its vibrant color adds visual appeal, while its gradual warmth infuses the dish with a tantalizing zing.
6. 1 slice of onion
Onions, a kitchen staple, bring sweetness and depth to the sabzi. Sliced thinly, they caramelize during cooking, adding a rich and savory undertone to the overall flavor profile.
7. 1/2 tsp. Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
Turmeric, known for its vibrant yellow hue and anti-inflammatory properties, not only adds color to the dish but also imparts a subtle earthiness that balances the flavors.
8. 1 tsp. Red Chilli Powder / Laal Mirch Powder
In addition to the dry red chili powder, a dash of red chili powder intensifies the heat, allowing you to customize the spiciness according to your taste preferences.
9.1 tsp. coriander tsp. or dhaniya powder
Coriander powder, with its mild and citrusy notes, contributes to the overall aroma and flavor complexity of the sabzi. It ties together the diverse elements, creating a harmonious blend.
10. To Taste Salt or Namak
Salt, the unsung hero of every dish, brings balance to the flavors. Adjust according to your taste, ensuring that every ingredient is harmoniously seasoned.
Now that we’ve unveiled the secrets of the ingredients, it’s time to embark on the culinary journey of crafting the perfect Kantola ki Sabzi. Follow the step-by-step guide, and soon you’ll be savoring a dish that celebrates the natural goodness of teasel gourd in every bite.
Cooking Steps: Crafting the Perfect Kantola ki Sabzi
Step 1: Prepare the Teasel Gourd
- Begin by cleaning 6 Kantola/Kakoda/Teasel Gourd thoroughly. Trim the edges, and soak them in water for some time to remove any dirt.
- After soaking, rub the teal gourd well to ensure a clean surface. Slice them into thin rounds, ready to absorb the flavors of the dish.
Step 2: Roast the Peanuts
- In a pan, dry roast 2 tbsp of peanuts until they turn golden brown. This enhances their flavor and adds a delightful crunch to the sabzi.
- Once roasted, set the peanuts aside for later use.
Step 3: Sauté the Aromatics
- Heat oil in a pan. Add sliced garlic pods and sauté until they release their aroma.
- Introduce the sliced onions to the pan and cook until they turn golden brown, infusing sweetness into the dish.
Step 4: Spice Infusion
- It’s time to spice things up! Add 3–4 dry red chili powders, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon red chili powder, and 1 teaspoon coriander powder. Stir well to coat the onions and garlic with the spices.
Step 5: Add Teasel Gourd
- Gently incorporate the sliced teasel gourd into the aromatic spice mix. Ensure each round is coated with the flavors, creating a symphony of tastes.
- Cook the teasel gourds until they become tender yet retain a slight crunch. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
Step 6: Final Touch
- Season the sabzi with salt according to your taste preferences.
- Crush the roasted peanuts and sprinkle them over the sabzi, adding a delightful nuttiness to the dish.
Step 7: Serve and Enjoy
Plate the Kantola ki Sabzi and marvel at the vibrant colors and enticing aroma. Pair it with your favorite Indian bread or rice for a wholesome and satisfying meal.
There you have it—a plate full of Kantola ki Sabzi, a celebration of flavors and textures that showcase the beauty of teasel gourd. Enjoy the culinary journey and savor the unique taste of this seasonal delight!