Methi Muthiya, a traditional Indian snack, is a flavorful and wholesome dish that captures the essence of Indian cuisine. This delightful treat is made with fresh fenugreek leaves, wheat flour, and besan (gram flour), resulting in a dish that’s not only delicious but also healthy. In this article, we’ll explore the art of making Methi Muthiya, step by step. So, let’s embark on a culinary journey and discover the secrets to creating this mouthwatering delight.
Table of Contents
Methi Muthiya Ingredients You’ll Need
To get started with this wonderful dish, you will need the following ingredients:
1. Methi Leaves
- 2 cups of fresh Methi leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup of wheat flour
- 1 cup of besan (gram flour)
3. Flavorful Additions
- 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon of coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of Hing (asafoetida)
- 1 teaspoon of red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon of green chilli paste
- 1 teaspoon of ginger-garlic paste
- Some chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tablespoon of lime juice
5. Cooking Medium
- 1 tablespoon of oil
The Culinary Journey
Step 1: Mixing the Ingredients
- In a mixing container, combine the finely chopped Methi leaves with wheat flour and besan.
- Add sesame seeds, salt, coriander powder, turmeric powder, Hing, red chilli powder, green chilli paste, ginger-garlic paste, chopped coriander leaves, lime juice, and a tablespoon of oil to the mixture.
Step 2: Kneading the Dough
- Mix all the ingredients well and gradually add water to knead the mixture into a firm dough.
- Once the dough is ready, let it rest for 8-10 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
Step 3: Shaping the Muthiya
- After resting, apply a little oil to the dough.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal portions.
- Shape each portion into cylindrical rolls.
Step 4: Steaming the Muthiya
- Steam the cylindrical rolls for 15-20 minutes or until they are cooked through and firm.
- You can check the readiness by inserting a knife or toothpick; it should come out clean when they are ready.
- Once they are done, remove them from the steamer and let them cool for a while.
Step 5: Tempering for Flavor
- In a pan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Add mustard seeds, sesame seeds, and some curry leaves to the hot oil.
- Sauté until the mustard seeds start to crackle.
- Add the chopped, steamed Muthiya to the pan.
Step 6: Roasting to Perfection
- Roast the Muthiya in the pan until they turn crispy and golden brown.
- The roasting process will enhance the flavors and add a delightful crunch to the dish.
The Final Touch
Once your Methi Muthiya is beautifully crispy and aromatic, it’s ready to serve. This delicious snack can be enjoyed with a side of chutney or a hot cup of tea. The combination of fresh Methi leaves and a blend of spices makes Methi Muthiya not just a tasty treat but also a healthy snack option.
Methi Muthiya is a dish that embodies the true essence of Indian cuisine. The use of Methi leaves, wheat flour, and besan in this recipe not only makes it a scrumptious delight but also a nutritious choice. So, why wait? Try your hand at making Methi Muthiya and savor the rich flavors of this traditional Indian snack. Enjoy the crispy, golden brown Muthiya, and share the goodness with your loved ones.